Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
LONG STANTON is a straggling agricultural village, divided into two parishes, All Saints and St. Michael, with a station 1½ miles north from the village on the Cambridge, St. Ives and Huntingdon branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 9½ miles northwest from Cambridge by rail, 10½ south-east from Huntingdon and 65 from London, in the hundred of North Stowe, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
There is a Wesleyan chapel. The Bishops of Ely formerly had a palace here, in which Queen Elizabeth was entertained by Bishop Cox in August, 1564.
From a decree in chancery, dated 1757, it appears that the ancestors of Sir Thomas Hatton bart. had been then possessed for more than a hundred years of the manors of Long Stanton, Cheynes, Waiwyns and Calvilles; the family of Hatton, descended from the Hattons of Cheshire, settled at Long Stanton in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and John Hatton esq. the first of the family who resided there, was first cousin of the celebrated Sir Christopbsr Hatton ; his third son, Thomas, succeeded to the estate, and was created a baronet in 1641. The park, containing the site of the old manor house, pulled down in 1864, when the estates were sold, is now the property of J.J. Townsend esq.
The soil is stiff loam; the subsoil is blue clay, producing excellent crops of wheat, barley, beans and peas. The population in 1921 of All Saints was 348; area, 1,938 acres; St. Michael population, 79 ; area, 841 acres.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
Longstanton All Saints | Longstanton St Michael
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| Towns & Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com