Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
OAKINGTON, a parish partly in the hundred of CHESTERTON, but chiefly in that of NORTHSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Cambridge, containing, with the hamlet of Westwick, 440 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the kings books at £4. 13. 1½., and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Queen's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
OAKINGTON, properly Hockington, the place being really named after the Hocings, one of the royal tribes of Frisia mentioned in Beowulf and "The Travellers Song," is a parish and village with a station on the St. Ives and Cambridge branch of the London a North Eastern, railway; 64½ miles from London and 7 north-west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Northstow, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St. Andrew is a large edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattlecd western tower containing 4 bells, of which the treble and third were cast in 1655 and the tenor in 1656, all three by Miles Graye, of Colchester; the second dated 1748: the south porch was destroyed in 1842: the church retains an ancient stone font consisting of a rudely arcaded basin, supported on five shafts, and there are three massive stone coffin lids, supposed to date from about 1350; these were found under the floor; one bears a fioriated cross: both aisles originally had chantries at the east end, and the north aisle still retains two niches: the tower, very well built of rubble masonry, with Barnack stone quoins, belongs to the Early Decorated period: the church was restored in 1885, at a cost of £1,000, under the direction of W.S Fawcett esq. M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, architect, and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift Queens' College, Cambridge, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Aubyn Littledale M.A. of that college. The list of vicars dates from 1315. In a garden near the church are the graves of three Puritan ministers, Joseph Oddy 1687, Francis Holcroft 1692, and Henry Osland 1711. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The manor of Hockington was given in 946 by its owner, Turketyl or Thuraytel, chancellor of King Edred, to Crowland Abbey; it was devastated by the Panes in 1009, but the buildings were restored by Abbot Brittimer in 1018-48: the manor and rectory remained in the possession of Crowland Abbey till the surrender of the monastery December 8, 1539 ; in 1557 it was purchased by Queens' College, Cambridge.
The soil is stiff loam, and the subsoil clay. Wheat, barley, beans, peas, potatoes and turnips are the chief crops. The acreage of the entire civil parish is 1,692; the population in 1921 was 449 in the civil and 507 in the ecclesiastical parish.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In OAKINGTON Alfgeat the priest holds 15 acres from the Abbott. Land for 1 ox. The value is and always was 3s. The very same man held it before 1066; he could grant, but the jurisdiction remained wityh the Abbot.
The Abbot of Crowland holds 7½ hides in OAKINGTON. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 4 hides; 2 ploughs here. 14 villagers and 3 smallholders with 6 ploughs. 4 cottagers; 3 slaves. Meadow for 2 ploughs. The total value is and was £6; before 1066 £8. This manor was and is in the lordship of St. Guthlac's Church.
In OAKINGTON 2 men-at-arms hold 3 hides and 1 virgate and 10 acres from Picot; also a third man-at-arms holds ½ hide and 9 acres and 3 gardens there. Land for 3½ ploughs. 2 there; [another] 1½ possible. 12 villagers with 3 smallholders and 8 cottagers. In total, value £4 10s; when acquired 100s; vefore 1066 £8. Blackwin the Sheriff held ½ hide and 9 acres of this land from the King. 2 other men of the King's held 1 hide and 3 virgates; they found 1 cartage and 1 escort. A man of the Abbot of Ely's had 1½ hides and 10 acres; he could sell, but the jurisdiction remained with the Abbot.
In OAKINGTON Roger holds 1½ hides and 10 acres from the Countess. Land for 1½ ploughs. ½ there; [another] plough possible. 1 villager; 6 cottagers. Value 30s; when acquired 20s; before 1066 £4. Godwin, Earl Waltheof's man, held this land and could sell.
In OAKINGTON the wife of Boselin of Dives holds 1½ hides which the Bishop of Bayeux delivered to her, but the men of the Hundred do not know for what reason. Land for 1½ ploughs. 6 oxen there; [another] 1 plough possible. 3 villagers; 2 cottagers. The value is and was 30s; before 1066, 60s. Siward, Earl Waltheof's man, held this land and could sell; but the jurisdiction remained with the Abbot of Ely.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour website for Cambridgeshire pages.
The Oakington Graves
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com