Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
MORDEN (STEEPLE), a parish in the hundred of ARMINGF0RD, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Royston, containing 614 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king’s books at £6. 18. 6., endowed with £600 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul the steeple fell to the ground about seventy years since.
STEEPLE MORDEN is a parish, on the borders Hertfordshire; the village is 3 miles north from Ashwell station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway (which is within the boundary of this parish), 43 miles from London and 5 north-west from Royston, in the hundred of Armingford, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Shingay, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of SS, Peter sad Paul is a building of stone and flint in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a low south tower with shingled spire containing one bell: the organ was presented by the Rev. R. E. Green B.A. vicar 1886-1902: the church was restored in 1869 at a cost of £2,500, and affords 320 sittings. In the church yard is a cross of Portland stone, erected in memory of the men connected with this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1675.
There is a Wesleyan chapel rebuilt in 1863, and a public recreation ground.
The manor of Steeple Morden was formerly owned by the Fitzwalter family. The principal land-owners are St. John's College, Cambridge, William F. Hunt esq. Francis William Bertram Parrish esq. and Messrs. John Inns & Sons. The Cambridge and Herts County Councils have acquired several hundred acres of land in this and the adjoining parish of Guilden Morden, for the purposes of small holdings. The soil is marl and chalk; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and peas. The area is 3,846 acres; the population in 1921 was 696.
NORTH BROOK END is 2 miles north-east.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com