Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
STOW cum QUY, a parish in the hundred of STAINE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (N. E.) from Cambridge, containing 378 inhabitants. The living is a perpetuaI curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a small endowed school. Jeremy Collier, the celebrated nonjuring divine, was born here in 1650; he died in 1730.
STOW-with-QUY is a parish, with a station 1 mile north from the centre of the village on the Cambridge and Mildenhall branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 miles east-north-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Staine, Bottisham petty sessional division, union of Chesterton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The stream called 'Quy water' flows through the parish.
The church of St. Mary, erected circa 1340, and situated close to the main road, is an ancient embattled edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the nave arcades, with the exception of an Early English arch to the south-east, are Decorated; the clerestory is Perpendicular; the rood screen, of the same date, is in five compartments, and has been restored: the north aisle, also Perpendicular, has some modern memorials to the Martin family, of Quy Hall: both aisles have slight projections at their eastern ends, forming quasi-transepts: each transept has a piscina: the font, an octagon, is Perpendicular, with blank shields on the sides; the church contains a curious brass with effigies of a man in armour, his wife (figure now lost), 12 sons and four daughters, and a mutilated inscription, which when perfect commemorated John Ansty esq. formerly lord of this 'ville,' and founder of Ansty's Chantrey, and Johanna his wife; he died circa 1465: there is also a brass with arms and inscription to Edward Stern, 1641, and some 17th century slabs inscribed to the Lawrence family: the chancel was rebuilt about 1740 by Thomas Martyn esq. and the church thoroughly restored in 1879-82: in 1883 the churchyard wall was rebuilt by Thomas Musgrave Francis esq. D.L., J.P. who in 1928 erected a tablet to commemorate Jeremy Collier, the church historian, and two former vicars of Quy, Richard Sterne, 1621-2, afterwards Archbishop of York, 1664-83, and Thomas Herring, 1719-21, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury, 1747-57: there are 230 sittings. The register dates from the year 1650.
There is a small Wesleyan chapel here.
Quy Hall is the residence of Thomas Musgrave Francis esq. M.A., D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,872 acres of land and 7 of water; the population in 1921 was 322.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
In STAINE Hundred.
In QUY Picot holds 3 hides and 3 virgates under the Abbot. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 5 villagers with 2 ploughs. 1 slave; ½ mill, 40d; meadow for 4 ploughs. Value £6; when acquired and before 1066 £4. 2 Freemen held this land under the Abbot; they could not withdraw without his permission.
Odo holds 1 hide from Count Alan. Land for 9 ploughs. In lordship 2; 8 villagers with 7 smallholders have 7 ploughs. 6 slaves; 1 mill, 5s 4d; meadow for 9 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock. The total value is and was £12; before 1066 £10.
In the same village Reginald holds ½ hide and 30 acres from Aubrey. Land for 1 plough; it is there, with 1 smallholder. The value is and always was 10s. Godric, King Edward's man, held this land; he did not hold from Aubrey's predecessor. The men of the Hundred testify to this; but Aubrey appropriated it in the King's despite.
Picot of Cambridge holds 4½ hides and 10 acres in QUY. Land for 5 ploughs. In lordship 1; 8 villagers have 4 ploughs. In total, the value is and was £8. Alric the monk and Godric, the Abbot of Ramsey's men, held 3½ hides of this land; they could not withdraw without his permission. 4 Freemen, King Edward's men, held 1 hide and 10 acres; they could neither grant nor sell without the King's permission.
The war memorial and the men on it have been documented on the Roll of Honour Cambridgeshire page
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com