Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
A BRIEF HISTORY OF ELY and neighbouring villages in the Isle by J.H. Clements 1868
THETFORD is a hamlet, in the parish of Stretham, about three miles from Ely. It contains 1,600 acres, and has a population of about 250 souls. The amount of assessed property is £1433. The manor of Thetford was alienated from the see of Ely by Bishop Heton, in 1600, and is supposed to have been granted to Sir Roger Thornton, in whom it appears to have been afterwards vested. From the Thorntons it passed to the families of Sandys and Child. About 1770, John Drage, Esq., successfully prosecuted his claim to this manor in a suit of law It is now the property of Mrs. G. S. Hall of Ely.
THETFORD is a hamlet, 2 miles north-east. The chapel of St. George, a building of stone, erected in the 14th century, consists of chancel, nave, north porch and a western turret containing one bell: in 1863 the roof was renewed, the larger portion of the nave rebuilt and slightly enlarged, and a porch added: a vestry was built in 1885: there are 200 sittings. There is also a Baptist chapel. A cemetery of half an acre was formed in 1914; it is under the control of a Burial Board. Townsend's Charity of £45 yearly for fuel, blankets and sheeting is for the poor. The area is 1,059 acres of land and 19 of water; the population in 1921 was 150.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To follow ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com