Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Wentworth

Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831

WENTWORTH, or WINGFORD, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, ISLE of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4½ miles (W.S.W.) from Ely, containing 139 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ely.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF ELY and neighbouring villages in the Isle by J.H. Clements 1868

Wentworth
This parish, which lies between Witcham and Haddenham, has a population of about 180 souls, and contains 1,520 acres. The manor formerly belonged to the abbey of Ely. It now belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The rectory is worth about £3OO per annum, and is held by the Rev. R. Rainbird.

For the Family Historian details of available records can be found on the Wentworth page of GENUKI Cambridgeshire.

WENTWORTH (in Domesday Book Winteworde) is a parish in the Isle of Ely, 1½ miles north from Wilburton station on the Ely and St. Ives branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 4½ west from Ely, in the hundred of South Witchford, union, petty sessional division, county court district and rural deanery of Ely, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a small embattled western tower containing one bell: the chancel retains a double piscine and a stone figure of pre-Norman carving, reputed to be that of St. Peter, and there are doorways of Norman date: the church was restored in 1868 and affords 130 sittings. The register commences from the year 1790. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £373, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and held since 1924 by the Rev. John Douglas Stewart M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. The Dean and Chapter of Ely, who are lords of the manor, and St. Peter's College, Cambridge, are the principal landowners. The soil is loam, with clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and barley. The area is 1,369 acres; the population in 1921 was 95. By Orders which came into operation March 25, 1884, detached parts of this parish were amalgamated with Coveney and Manea, the latter in North Witchford union, and on March 25, 1886, another detached part was amalgamated with Grunty Fen.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Domesday Book Entry

*** To be completed ***


Military History

The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Overview | Cambridgeshire 1929 | About the Parishes | Towns & Parishes | Registration Districts
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster


© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com