Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
WRATTING (WEST), a parish in the hundred of RADFIELD, county of CABRIDGE, 5¼ miles (N.E. by N.) from Linton, containing 696 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £7. 17. 3½., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, and the vicarage-house, were repaired and improved, at an expense of £767, defrayed by Sir John Jacob, who died in 1840.
WEST WRATTING is a village and parish, 4 miles south-east from Six Mile Bottom Station on the Cambridge and Newmarket section of the London and North Eastern railway, 5½ north-east from Linton, and 9 south from Newmarket, in the hundred of Redfield, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Newmarket, rural deanery of Camps, and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure of flint and rubble in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: on the south side of the chancel is a stained window, erected in 1910, to the Rev. J. L. L. Lees, a former vicar, and to his wife, by their daughter, Amy Dearberg; there are also two other stained windows: a new font was added in 1908 and a chancel screen was erected in 1911, both the gift of Edward Purkis Frost esq. D.L., J.P. d. 1922: a new organ was added in 1908: .the church was thoroughly restored in 1898 at a cost of £1,600, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1579. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £254, including 41 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and held since 1909 by the Rev. William John Jones B.A. of London University, who is also vicar of West Wickham. There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1811, and has sittings for 200 persons. The Foresters' Hall, built in 1888, is used for public meetings, entertainments &c. West Wratting Hall, the property and seat of Edward Granville Gordon Frost esq. J.P. stands in a park of about 6o acres, adjoining the church, and commands a pretty view of the country. West Wratting Park, also the property of E. G. G. Frost esq. J.P. adjoins the village; the mansion is a plain substantial edifice of red brick, standing in a park of about 40 acres. E. G. G. Frost esq. J.P. Sidney A. Taylor esq. J.P., and J. J. Pearson esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 3,543 acres; the population in 1921 was 417.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
Domesday Book Entry
The Abbot holds (West) WRATTING himself. 4½ hides. Land for 7 ploughs. In lordship 3 hides; 2 ploughs there; a further 2 possible. 6 villagers and 3 smallholders with 3 ploughs. 3 slaves; meadow for 1 plough; woodland, 20 pigs; pasture for the village livestock. In total, value £4; when acquired 40s; before 1066, 100s. This manor lies and always lay in the lordship of the Church of Ely.
In the same village Hardwin holds 3 hides from the Abbot. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 5 villagers and 4 smallholders with 2 ploughs. 4 slaves; meadow, 4 acres; woodland, 12 pigs. Value £4; when acquired 20s; before 1066, 40s. 10 Freemen held this land; they were the Abbot's men and could not sell their land without his permission. 6 of them found cartages and 4 found escorts if the King came into the Shire; if not, they paid 8d for cartage and 4[d] for escorts.
In (West) WRATTING Aelmer holds 1½ hides from the Count. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2; 3 villagers with 1 smallholder have 2 ploughs. 1 slave; woodland, 8 pigs. Value 60s; when acquired 20s; before 1066 the same. 2 Freemen held this land under Edeva; they could not withdraw from her. One of them found cartage for the Sheriff.
In (West) WRATTING Lambert holds 3 virgates from William. Land for ½ plough; it is there, with 1 villager; meadow, ½ acre. The value is and always was 5s. Told held this land from King Edward; it found 1 cartage.
In (West) WRATTING Hardwin holds 1 virgate of land. Land for 2 oxen. 2 smallholders there. The value is and was 3s. Told and Withgar held it; one found cartage and the other found escort.
In (West) WRATTING Hardwin holds 3 hides. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 2; 5 villagers with 4 smallholders have 2 ploughs. 4 slaves; meadow, 4 acres; woodland, 12 pigs. Value £6; when acquired 20s; before 1066, 40s. 10 Freemen, the Abbot of Ely's men, held this land; they could not sell.
In RADFIELD Hundred these (men) swore
and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of this Hundred swore.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com