Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
WILBURTON, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Ely, containing 465 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £500 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Ely. The church is a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The parsonage house was anciently the seat of the Archdeacons of Ely, at which Henry VII. and his son, Prince Henry, were entertained for several days, when that sovereign came to visit the shrine of St. Ethelreda at Ely.
This village southernly situated, contains 2610 acres, and has a population of about 500 souls. The amount of assessed property is £3,310. The parish is named after Wilburtus, a Saxon, who was killed bv the Danes in 807. The living is a perpetual curacy in the deanery of Ely, but not in charge, and returned at 268 nett per annum. The archdeacon of Ely is patron, and the Rev. J. Fell, master of the grammar school, Huntingdon, is the incumbent."
[A BRIEF HISTORY OF ELY and neighbouring villages in the Isle by J.H. Clements 1868]
WILBURTON is a parish, partly in the Fen lands, Isle of Ely, with a station, 5 mile north from the village, on the Ely, Sutton and St. Ives section of the London and North Eastern railway, 6½ miles south-west from Ely, 23 north from Cambridge and 77 from London by rail and 64 by road, in the South Witchford hundred, Ely union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ely, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese Ely. The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone in the Gothic style of the 15th century, retaining traces a work pronounced by the late Sir Gilbert Scott to be Saxon and Norman, and consisting of nave, north transept, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: it was restored in 1851, and the transept added in 1868 by Albert and Oliver Claude Pall mgrs. and, the Rev. Beauchamp H. St. John Pell M.A., rector of Ickenham, Middlesex, in memory of their parents, Sir Albert Pell kt. king's serjeant-at-law and judge of the Court of Review, who died is 1832, land Dame Margaret Letitia Matilda Pell, third daughter of Henry Beauchamp, 12th Lord St. John, of Bletsoe, who died in i868: in the chancel is a window to a daughter of Lady Pell who died in 1855: the rood screen was restored in 1893 by the parishioners and friends in memory of 0. C. Pell esq, D.L., J.P. who died in 1891: over the porch is a priest's chamber: in 1921 a stained glass window was inserted in the north side of the church, in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; the cost, a little over £200, was subscribed by the parishioners: there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1730. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, including 5 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Ely, and held since 1928 by the Rev. Charles George Reed B.A. of Durham University. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1843. A burial ground of about half an acre was formed in 1881, at a cost of £500, from land given by the Pell family, and is under the control of the Parish Council. St. Peter's Hall, High street, was built in 1895 at a cost of about £900, by the late Oliver Claude Pell esq. M.A. and is used for entertainments and parochial meetings; the hall is adorned with some ancient carvings in wood, removed from the pulpit in Stretham church. Near the top of Mr. Camp's garden are some mounds, once serving as archery butts. King Henry VII. is known to have stayed here, at a house where the rectory now stands. Wilburton Manor House, a mansion of red brick and stone, erected from the designs of the late Mr. Pugin, is the property of the trustees of Albert Julian Pell J.P. deceased, who are lords of the manor and principal landowners: The house is at present (1929) unoccupied. The soil varies from red sand to stiff clay on the upper land; the whole of the fen land is in good cultivation. The chief industry is fruit growing, and the crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 2,437 acres; the population in 1921 was 497.
GRUNTY FEN parish, which was formerly extra-parochial, adjoins Wilburton; area, 1,793 acres; population in 1921 was 97; Stretham and Wilburton railway stations are both in this parish.
Grunty Fen is reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
*** To be completed ***
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com