Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
WITCHFORD, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 3 miles (W.S.W.) from Ely, containing 401 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £9. 18. 9. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF ELY and neighbouring villages in the Isle by J.H. Clements 1868
This parish contains 2,580 acres, and the population is about 580. The amount of assessed property is about £3,500. This village is three miles west of Ely. The living is a vicarage, exempt from visitation, in the deanery of Ely, returned at £142. nett per annum. The dean and chapter of Ely are the patrons, and the Rev. H. R. Rackham, the incumbent. There are two Methodists chapels in the place.
WITCHFORD (anciently Wycheford) is a parish in the Isle of Ely (giving name to the two hundreds), in the south of which it is situated, on the road from Ely to St. Ives, 2 miles north-by-west from Stretham station on the Ely, Sutton and St. Ives section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 3 south-west from Ely, in the union, petty sessional division, county court district and rural deanery of Ely, archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely; it is entirely agricultural. The church of St. Andrew, as appears from the mandate of Bishop Arundell, dated at Downham 4 Dec. 1376, and preserved in the diocesan registry, was consecrated 12th Dec. in that year: it was originally Norman, and incorporated the materials of the ancient structure, but is chiefly an edifice of stone in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells, dated 1671: the east window is stained, and there is a memorial window to the Rev. H. E. Rackham M.A. vicar 1844-84, and one to the Rev. B. M. Lloyd, vicar 1884-1911: the font is possibly Norman, and the chancel has a piscine and a double aumbry, and there is another double aumbry in the north wall of the nave: the tower is Early English of the 13th century, and the nave and chancel are Decorated of the 14th century: the church was thoroughly restored in 1851, and further restorations were concluded in 1887: extensive repairs to the roof, tower &c. were completed in 1923, at a cost of £1,100: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1778. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, including glebe, with residence, built in 1847, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and held since 1911 by the Rev. Thomas Hamilton M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1871, with sittings for 135 persons. St. Andrew's Hall, erected in 1903, on a site given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, is used for parish and other meetings. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, are the chief landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, sugar beet and beans. The area is 2,156 acres; the population in 1921 was 416 in the civil and 421 in the ecclesiastical parish. By an Order which came into operation March 25, 1884, detached parts of this parish were amalgamated with Witcham and Manea, and on March 25, 1886, another detached part was amalgamated with Grunty Fen.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
The Abbot of Ely holds WITCHFORD. 3 hides. Land for 7 ploughs. In lordship 1½ hides; 2 ploughs there; a third possible. 5 Freemen with ½ hide, who could not and cannot withdraw; 17 villagers with 7 acres each: all of them together, 4 ploughs. 7 cottagers, 8 slaves. Meadow for 7 ploughs; pasture for the village livestock. Total value £10; when acquired £8; before 1066 £12.
This manor was and is in the Church's lordship. In the TWO HUNDREDS of ELY which meet at Witchford (these) men swore, namely
(and all the other Frenchmen and Englishmen of these Hundreds swore).
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com