Towns, Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Gazeetter 1831
DITTON (WOOD), a prish in the hundred of CHEVELEY, county CAMBRIDGE, 2¾ miles (S.S.E.) from Newmarket, containing 812 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated with the rectory of St. Mary, Newmarket, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £12. 16. 5½. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
WOOD DITTON is a parish and village, 3½ miles south from Newmarket station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway, in the hundred of Cheveley, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. In pursuance of the Cambridgeshire and West Suffolk (Newmarket) Confirmation Order, 1895, that part of Wood Ditton parish in Suffolk was added to Newmarket All Saints for civil purposes, but remains administratively in. West Suffolk. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of flint in the Early English style, with Perpendicular additions, and consists of chancel, clerestoried and embattled nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower, which has been restored, and contains 5 bells: the church was restored and reseated in 1897-99 by the late Col. H. L. B. McCalmont M.P. at a cost of £5,000 and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1567. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with 12 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Earl of Ellesmere M.V.O. and held since 1925 by the Rev. Stanley Austin M.A. of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge. There is a Congregational chapel here. The Earl of Ellesmere M.V.O. Sir Alec Black bart. J.P. Sidney Taylor esq. and the Jockey Club are the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 4,768 acres; the population in 1921, chiefly distributed in the hamlets of Ditton Green, Little Ditton and Saxon Street, was 848, and in the ecclesiastical parish, 777.
By an Order in Council, gazetted August 15th, 1911, part of Wood Ditton ecclesiastical parish, containing at the date of census a population of 462, was transferred to All Saints. Newmarket, ecclesiastical parish.
SAXON STREET is a considerable hamlet about 1½ miles east from the Wood Ditton church. The church here, a plain structure of red brick, was erected in 1877 by Lady Adeliza Manners (d 1904) as a memorial to her husband, Lord George John Manners, of Cheveley Park, d. Sept. 8, 1874: divine service is held here every Sunday afternoon by the vicar of Wood Ditton. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel, rebuilt in 1884.
[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Domesday Book Entry
WOODDITTON answered for 10 hides before 1066; now for 1 hide. Land for 16 ploughs. In lordship 2 ploughs; 7 villagers and 3 smallholders with 3 ploughs; a further 13 ploughs possible. 3 slaves; pasture for the village livestock; woodland, 300 pigs; from the village grazing 6s 8d. Total value £12; when acquired £15; before 1066 as much. William of Noyers holds this manor for the King at a revenue. This manor lay in (the lands of) the Church of St. Etheldreda of Ely before 1066, but Archbishop Stigand took it away; the men of the Hundred do not know how.
Wighen holds WOODDITTON from Count Alan. It answered for 5 hides before 1066, and now for 3 hides. Land for 10 ploughs. In lordship 4 ploughs. 10 villagers with 8 smallholders have 6 ploughs. 4 slaves; pasture for the village livestock; woodland, 150 pigs. Total value £10; when acquired £14; before 1066 £7. Edeva held this manor.
The men and women on the war memorial are fully documented with military details, photographs and personal details.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
| Cambridgeshire 1929
| About the Parishes | Towns
& Parishes | Registration
Hundreds | Poor Law Unions| Main Menu | Contact Webmaster
© Copyright - 2000- - cambridgeshirehistory.com